BecomingX is a learning and development company set up to help create a world where everyone can realise their potential. We create films with the world's most inspiring and iconic people, produce education content to help people succeed and we support our charity, the BecomingX Foundation, to deliver our mission in lower income countries and underserved communities.
B Corporations are certified companies that meet the highest social and environmental standards. BecomingX is proudly different - we believe we have the ability to change the lives of hundreds of millions of people. That's why we do what we do, and why we operate in a way that wouldn't make sense to purely profit maximising companies. BecomingX is the highest scoring education B Corporation in the UK and the second highest in the world.
Our purpose is to help create a world where everyone can realise their potential.
1) We help people to understand what it really takes to succeed and show people what they are capable of
2) We create world-class education content and experiences to help people build the skills, knowledge, attitudes and relationships needed to succeed - which is often not taught in schools, universities and businesses
3) We support people in lower-income countries and underserved communities through our charity, the BecomingX Foundation
4) We are carbon positive - committed to removing 50% more emissions than we ourselves emit
5) We create jobs, pay our taxes and we'd like to think that we're lovely people to work with
We're carbon positive. This means we take out more carbon than we emit through our operations (and that's even better than being carbon neutral). We have committed to removing an additional 50% of our emissions from what we emit. We reduce our emissions as much as possible, and offset through an accredited programme.
In its technical sense, 'success' is the ability to achieve something you set out to accomplish. Part of BecomingX's ambition is to raise aspirations and confidence, so that people aim higher and focus on achieving goals that are inherently rewarding for both individuals and society more broadly. Success is individual, but for us, it's about living a fulfilled and happy life.
Technically no. It's easy to think we all have a technical 'maximum' amount of potential - like a cup - and that the challenge is just trying to get as close to filling it as possible. That's simply not the case. Rather we all have an entirely expandable 'cup' and we are capable of achieving ever greater levels of performance - everyone can keep on improving. As sporting achievements illustrate - the upper limits of what is possible are continually being redefined. So really, what we are talking about is a process of becoming ever more capable.
We're a small team, but you can check to see our current vacancies on our Careers page.
We aim to interview the world's most inspiring and iconic people. We have a robust process of identifying and selecting people we believe have inspiring stories and insightful lessons to share with the world. Where measurable (e.g. sport), our interviewees are the best in the world at what they do, and have to have an exceptional story to tell. We will not interview anyone with any active evidence of racism, sexism or offensive behaviour for which they haven't acknowledged or apologised for. Our interviewees aren't perfect. None of us are. Some have difficult pasts, but we believe they all have valuable lessons to pass on to help others succeed.
Over time, we'd like to interview the most inspiring and iconic people in every country in the world, across multiple fields, so no matter where someone is from or what they want to achieve in life, they have someone they can relate to and learn from.
No. Our interviewees share the same goals and aspirations as us. They want to help and to share their experiences and lessons to others.
Typically, no. Sorry. We are very protective of our interviewee's privacy. If there is a legitimate reason or collaboration opportunity and all other channels to contact them have been exhausted, we may consider requests if we believe them to be of value to an interviewee.
Sadly, we can't forward on any mail to our interviewees. You can send fan mail to us though. We'd like that.
We'd recommend checking out his website to see ways of getting in touch with Bear's team.
BecomingX Education is a digital solution for schools focused on personal development, helping educators teach the personal attributes needed to succeed.
The annual subscription includes:
1) Library: World-class content based on leading educational, psychological and neuroscientific research. Every lesson is introduced by Bear Grylls and comes with slides, films, lesson plans, activities and resources - at the touch of a button. Over 140 lessons covering Years 4 - 13, plus 50+ assemblies, bitesize discussions, stand-alone activities and clips to enable staff to consistently deliver key messages and get students engaged - our way, your way, any way.
2) Cinema: Short films with the world's most inspiring and iconic people, sharing their insights on what it takes to succeed.
3) Tools: Practical resources and guidance to help deliver a world-class personal development programme. This includes filmed interviews from leading educators, academics and experts, tools to help facilitate the process and external research and links to support with fulfilling statutory requirements.
4) Surveys: A digital survey to understand how your students see their personal development progress. Easy to administer, with detailed reports and analysis, educators can develop robust strategies and interventions based on accurate data and track progress over time.
5) Experiences: Classroom, local and international experiences to help students learn in practice. This includes bookable workshops, an interactive map of curated local experiences as well as international trips delivered by an award-winning adventure travel company.
6) Rewards: Significant discounts for schools with major suppliers, as well as a series of rewards for staff members at a variety of leading companies and retailers, saving money on products and experiences.
There are a number of benefits for students, staff and institutions:
- Increased engagement: Students love our content - it is highly engaging, interactive, presented by Bear Grylls, has insights from their heroes, and features real-world and practical activities
- Greater understanding of success: Our lessons cover the skills, attitudes, knowledge and relationships needed to succeed (with real-world examples), including how to support physical and mental health
- Exciting experiences: Our local and international experiences provide opportunities to learn in practice
- Significant time saving: Staff get access to 200+ age and outcome specific 'plug and play' lessons, assemblies, discussions, and stand-alone activities complete with full lesson plans and resources, saving significant research and preparation time
- World-class quality: Our heavily researched content is produced with the highest production values possible, allowing teachers to focus on doing what they do best
- Significant personal benefits: Staff save an estimated £200-300 a year each through the rewards we provide with retail, health, lifestyle and travel companies
- Tools: Practical resources to design and deliver high-performance personal development programmes across the whole institution
- Measurable impact: Surveys allow institutions to get detailed understanding of their students' perspectives allowing schools to design tailored programmes and to analyse the impact of their interventions
- Ready-made experiences: Provides easy access to classroom, local and international experiences, specifically designed to build the personal attributes needed to succeed
- Commercial savings: Provides significant commercial savings on technology, books, stationery, etc.
At the most fundamental level, we help students to develop the personal attributes - the skills, knowledge, attitudes and relationships - needed to succeed.
This type of education goes by many names; 'character education', 'PHSE', 'social and emotional learning', 'essential skills', 'life skills', 'employability skills', 'skills to succeed', 'soft skills'.
Specifically, the attributes we aim to build are -
1) Skills: Solution finder, effective communicator, team player, inspiring leader
2) Knowledge: Lifelong learner, healthy performer, expert practitioner, reflective thinker
3) Attitudes: Ambitious dreamer, go getter, resilient survivor
4) Relationships: Respectful operator, tribe builder, deal maker
We currently have 142 lessons (1 lesson per year group for each of our 14 attributes, plus an introductory lesson), 24 assemblies and 24 bitesize discussions, plus stand-alone activities and a collection of clips that can be used to supplement any lesson.
See 'Science of success' for more information on our 14 attributes.
We think there are a number of reasons why our content stands alone:
1) Evidence-based: Our lessons are based on in-depth research and first-hand interviews with the world's highest performers. We really do know what it takes to succeed.
2) Truly engaging: Our lessons are designed to maximise student engagement with introductions presented by Bear Grylls, class discussions, filmed insights from the world's most inspiring and iconic people and activities.
3) Interactive: All of our lessons are highly interactive, with students having an active role after just 3 minutes of starting a lesson.
4) Real-world activities: Our lessons are practical and based on real-world scenarios, partnering with leading companies, NGOs and individuals.
5) Robust educational principles: Our lessons are developed based on robust educational neuroscience, reviewed by an advisory board of top educators and experts.
6) Production values: All of our lessons are professionally designed to the highest standards and feature cinema quality footage and imagery.
An easy to administer online personal development survey, available to students at any point throughout the year using a simple link with no codes.
The survey focuses on understanding five areas:
1) Aspirations for the future
2) Experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic
3) Understanding of what it takes to 'succeed'
4) Views on their school/college (e.g. teaching, facilities, culture etc.)
5) Self-assessment of their own skills, knowledge, attitudes and relationships
The survey is completely anonymous - students are not asked for their name. Results are only visible to defined administrators within each institution and are aggregated to further preserve anonymity. A published PDF report is made available for institutions to communicate results more broadly to staff.
Surveys are available with the School Lite and School Premium subscriptions. Note that the survey is designed for Year 7 and above. A primary level survey is currently under development and will be released shortly.
Yes - BecomingX Education is currently available for all UK Primary, Secondary and All-Through Schools. A version for Home Educators, Tutors and Parents is under development - do let us know if you would like to be kept informed when it launches.
You can subscribe online, choosing from free or paid subscription options.
If you are a MAT or Corporate and would like to subscribe or sponsor multiple schools, please contact us.
If you have been given an Activation Code for a Premium subscription for your school, please use the link in your email to redeem.
We are in the process of preparing to launch in other countries later in the year - you can sign up to our mailing list to be kept up to date with our progress.
If you are outside the UK and really can't wait, do get in touch - although until we launch internationally some parts of the product (e.g. experiences and rewards) will be tailored to the UK.
Our platform is designed for staff members to use - it currently can't be used by students. We plan to launch an e-learning platform for students, to complement classroom based sessions, in the near future.
Yes - absolutely. If you are a parent, alumni or business who wishes to support your local school by sponsoring an annual subscription of BecomingX Education, click here.
We also work with corporates and other institutions who wish to sponsor subscriptions for schools or groups of schools - please contact us to discuss further.
Simply click on the link in the email you have received and you will be prompted to enter your Activation Code. You will then be guided through the login process and able to set your own password. Once you are logged in you can add your colleagues onto the system.
If an Activation Code isn't used within 28 days it will expire. Unfortunately, if you have been offered a code as a gift and not redeemed it within 28 days you may not be able to receive your membership gift.
Activation Codes only need to be used once - after that the primary administrator can add additional users.
Please contact us if you are having any issues at all redeeming your Activation Code, we can usually sort things out for you straight away!
Potentially yes. Please get in touch if you think your site can help students build their skills, knowledge, attitudes and relationships.
There are three subscription options available for UK Secondary School Educators: Educator - Lite, School - Lite and School - Premium. Primary will be available by the end of January 2022 (and will be automatically added to all-through premium subscriptions)..
Educator - Lite is a free option for individuals to be able to explore the platform, use the cinema and try out lessons. School - Lite adds the ability to run a survey for your school, and add other colleagues. Premium includes all content, tools, and rewards.
We will be announcing dates for expansion outside of the UK - please sign up to our mailing list to be kept informed.
The fee includes subscription to the platform for a year, for all registered staff at an institution. There are no hidden fees or additional costs. VAT is excluded in the advertised price per student. Over time, we will add 'modules' to BecomingX Education which will be priced separately.
Our fee is based on a per student basis, using publicly available data to derive numbers. We do this given the significant variation in size between schools and to ensure our products are affordable to smaller institutions. If you believe that the data we are using is incorrect, or we are calculating the membership fee incorrectly, please get in touch.
Please note that for all-throughs the number of students used to calculate the price is for the whole school: primary age content will be added to your subscription by the end of January 2022 at no additional cost.
There are two key reasons why we charge less per pupil for state schools than we do to independent schools:
1) Subsidising state sector: Our goal is to maximise the impact of product and to reach the greatest number of people. To do that, we need to ensure our product is affordable for the mass market (state sector) where budgets are significantly less than in the private sector. The actual cost of our product is reflected in the price paid by independent schools and partially subsidised the cost for the state sector.
2) School sizes and staff ratios: Independent schools tend to have fewer pupils and a greater number of staff per pupil. As staff members and institutions benefit significantly through our member benefits, the value received is proportionally much greater for an independent school.
Whilst we know this may not always be popular, even with differentiated pricing, the average independent school still pays 20% less total cost than an average state school given the lower number of pupils.
We offer a full refund within 14 days of purchase, after which we are unable to provide a full or partial refund. However, should a school/college use any of the rewards/discounts within the first 14 days, we will not be able to provide a refund.
We charge VAT on all purchases (excluded in the price per pupil). However, schools that are VAT registered can claim this back as BecomingX Education is an education service.
An institution may pay by direct debit (preferred) or debit/credit card. (We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Delta and Maestro credit and debit cards. We also accept PayPal, Apple Pay and Google Pay.)
If neither option is suitable, please contact us to arrange an alternative.
Verification emails are sent immediately - please check your junk email if it doesn't appear in your inbox within a couple of minutes. Once you have verified your email and set your password, you have immediate access.
For Premium, in most cases, payments with Direct Debit or credit/debit cards are processed immediately and you will be granted access to BecomingX Education straight away.
Yes. UK Secondary School Educators are able to subscribe to our Lite version, which is available for both Individuals and Schools. The Lite version is free and includes eight lessons as well as a subset of of our features. The School Lite version also includes the ability to use Surveys. Click here for more information on the subscription options.
To deliver BecomingX's vision of a world where everyone can realise their potential, we set up the BecomingX Foundation - a charity registered in England and Wales (1188861) and a 501(c)(3) organisation in the USA. It's purpose is to help people in lower income countries and underserved communities to realise their potential. Click here for more information.
The BecomingX Foundation focuses on three specific groups:
1) Schools, colleges and universities in lower income countries
2) Organisations supporting people in underserved communities
3) Individuals around the world striving to realise their potential, but without the financial means to do so
We support the BecomingX Foundation in 3 ways:
1) We licence all of our IP and educational resources (for free) to the BecomingX Foundation for use in lower income countries and underserved communities
2) We provide a minimum of 10% of our revenues from school purchases of BecomingX Education to the Foundation to help provide financial resources
3) We provide significant executive support and volunteering time as well as providing additional organisational resources (e.g. IT, design, reporting etc.)
Yes! They'd love that. Please check out their website to find out how.
Yes. We are proud to work with some of the world's leading companies - providing learning and development training, leadership programmes and guest speaking. Contact us for more details.
Yes. We regularly speak at corporate events. Contact us for more details.
While we are not a 'speaker agency', we regularly organise events for corporate clients featuring our interviewees. As we personally know all of our interviewees, we can provide favourable guest speaking rates (our interviewees are keen to support our mission) and we have a transparent and no nonsense approach. Our clients also like the fact that whilst we cover our costs, we donate what would typically be spent on agents to our charity BecomingX Foundation, so they know that by working with us, they are having a positive impact on the world.